The LA Local Offer

• The Children and Families Bill became enacted in 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’.

•The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

Suffolk’s Local Offer can be found through the following link:

]At Pot Kiln Primary we endeavour to meet the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs so that they make the best possible progress in school. We are an inclusive school and tailor support to meet the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities.

The broad area of SEND need are:

•Communication and Interaction

•Cognition and Learning

•Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties

•Sensory and /or Physical

The SEN Information Report

What is the Special Educational Needs Information Report?
Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as The Special Educational Needs Information Report.


What types of SEN do we provide for?

Schools and other agencies can help most children overcome their difficulties quickly and easily but a few children will need extra help for some or all of their time in school.

Special educational provision is educational support that is additional to or different from that made generally for others of the same age. It goes beyond the provision normally provided as part of the high quality teaching that occurs in our classrooms. It may take the form of additional support from within school or require involvement of specialist staff or resources.

If a child has special educational needs they will be recorded in one of two categories:

* SEN support

* Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP)

How do we identify and assess pupils with SEN?

* Children may be identified as having SEN before starting school.

* Children may be identified as having Special Educational Needs through parental concern or on transfer from other schools.

* Children with SEN may be identified within school, by the class teacher, SENCo or other adults working with the child.

* Children with SEN may be identified during Pupil Progress Meetings, during which the learning progress of individual children is discussed.

* Children with SEN may be identified from the analysis of progress data.

* Additional assessments may be carried out by the SENCo, relating to a specified area of concern.

In school we constantly track the progress of children through personal target setting, informal and formal assessments. Pupil Progress Meetings are held every term and pupils’ who are a cause for concern are highlighted to the Head Teacher and the SENCo at this time. Further assessment of individual children may then be appropriate.

Assessments used for analysis include:

* Target Tracker

* Development Matters (Early Years)

* P-Scales (Progress measures for children not yet reaching National expectation)

* Salford Reading Test

* PhAB (Phonological Assessment Battery)

* English screening tools

* Wellcomm- speech and language

* British Picture Vocabulary Scale

Who is our special educational needs coordinator (SENCo) and how can they be contacted?

The permanent SENCo is Mrs Walsh. She works Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and can either be contacted via the school office or by email:

Currently Mrs Walsh is on maternity leave and Ms Fisher is covering her role until her return. Ms Fisher works on Mondays and Tuesdays and can be contacted through the school.

What is our approach to teaching pupil with SEN?

All teachers are teachers of pupils with Special Educational Needs & Disabilities, (SEND), therefore we take collective responsibility and have a whole school approach to the teaching of pupils with additional needs. Class teachers work with the SENCo and school leadership team to identify and support children with additional needs.

The benefits of early identification of SEND are widely recognised; identifying need at the earliest point, and then providing good interventions, improves long-term chances of success for the child or young person. Special educational provision relates to that which is additional to or different from the educational provision made generally for others of the same age. The majority of children with SEND can have their needs met through mainstream education providers, like Pot Kiln Primary School, and will not need an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP).

How do we adapt the curriculum and learning environment?

The school delivers the EYFS and National Curriculum adapted to meet individual needs. We work with a key skills approach, focusing on teaching learners the skills needed for lifelong learning and independence. All learners are targeted to achieve good or outstanding progress based on national expectations for learners with SEN.

In school we constantly track the progress of children through personal target setting, informal and formal assessments.

We deliver a variety of interventions which aim to close gaps in learning.

Where additional support is needed, outside the pupil’s usual classroom, this is usually done in smaller groups and is timetabled sensitively to, wherever possible, avoid the pupil missing input for mathematics and English learning. We have expertise in the school to make the following interventions available to identified groups of children as appropriate:

* X Code reading catch up programme

* Speech and language

* Pre and post teaching

* Lunch bunch

* Toe-by-Toe

* Storytelling

How do we enable pupils with SEN to engage in activities with other pupils who do not have SEN?

We are an inclusive school and as much as possible endeavour to have the pupils taught primarily by their teacher within their classroom.

How do we consult parents of pupils with SEN and involve them in their child’s education?

Pupils who have a EHCP will have a yearly review with the parents, SENCo and any other professionals. This is child led and very much focusses on the needs of the child.

Pupils who do not have a EHCP can attend parents evening twice a year. The SENCo and teachers are also available throughout the year to discuss any issues.

How do we consult pupils with SEN and involve them in their education?

Pupils have 1:1 meetings with their teacher twice a year to discuss their learning, they are also encouraged to attend parents evening.

How do we support pupils moving between different phases of education?

We work with other settings (nurseries and other schools) and within our own setting (Nursery to Reception, Reception to Key Stage One and Key Stage One to Key Stage Two) to ensure that full consideration is given to the needs of those making transitions with SEND.

Individual needs are catered for by:

* Arranging mentoring sessions or discussion with the child about the transition.

* Arrangements for standard, whole class and extra visits to the new class/setting.

* Individual discussion and additional information for parents.

* Physical preparations for disabled access arrangements.

* Transition meetings between old and new teachers, including between different school settings.

* SEN Records and Pupil Passports to provide key information on SEN and vulnerable learners.

Our Reception Teachers visit children joining our school in their Nursery settings and discuss individual needs with their key workers. We also work closely with our partner Secondary Schools: Thomas Gainsborough and Ormiston Academy according to where our pupils choose to attend. We work with these schools on ‘taster’ days and general transition arrangements.

How do we support pupils with SEN to improve their emotional and social development?

We recognise that sound mental health, social and emotional development are vital components of well-being and good progress in school. We follow the guidance in the Department for Education document: Mental health and behaviour in schools.

This non-statutory advice clarifies the responsibility schools have in this area and outlines what can be done and how to support a child or young person, whose behaviour – whether it is disruptive, withdrawn, anxious, depressed or otherwise – may be related to an unmet mental health need.

As a school, we recognise that one in ten children and young people aged 5 to 16 have a clinically diagnosed mental health disorder and around one in seven has less severe problems. Staff have been trained to promote positive mental health in our pupils and identify and address those with less severe problems at an early stage and build their resilience. We are introducing The Thrive Approach as a way to support pupils with their emotional and social development through 1:1 or small group work.

What expertise and training do our staff have to support pupils with SEN?

At Pot Kiln Primary we have a dedicated Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator, Mrs Walsh, who is a fully qualified teacher. She has also completed a Masters level qualification with the University of Hertfordshire in Special Educational Needs.

Mrs Walsh is responsible for attending regular update meetings and briefings, and shares these will all members of staff in school. The team of Learning Support Assistants also meet regularly with the deputy and wider teaching team for training purposes. Key messages and essential information are communicated and shared through these meetings regarding key pupils, intervention strategies, and relevant research and policies.

How will we secure specialist expertise?

As a school we work closely with a range of external specialist services which are relevant to our pupils’ needs. These may include Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapist, Primary Mental Health Workers, Social Workers, Paediatricians, School Nurse, Educational Psychologists and County Inclusive Support Service (Autism and behaviour outreach).

How will we secure equipment and facilities to support pupils with SEN?

We support most children with SEND from our general school budget. However, if more extensive support is needed by some children then this requires additional core funding. At this stage, an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan is undertaken by the Local Authority in collaboration with school staff, the child and the child’s parents/carers. Children who have an EHCP have a ‘One Plan’ drawn up in consultation with the child, their parents/carers and professionals within school, education specialists and the health service.

How do we evaluate the effectiveness of our SEN provision?

The SENCo attends termly pupil progress meetings. In addition to termly meetings with the governors, a teacher and LSA, which Mrs Walsh chairs, are held. These meeting review the progress of SEN pupils and any interventions which need to be put in place.

How do we handle complaints from parents of children with SEN about provision made at school?

If parents have a complaint in regards to the provision provided, they can contact the headteacher or SENCo, Mrs Walsh. If parents are not happy with the way the matter is dealt with, they can lodge a complaint with the governors.

Who can young people and parents contact if they have concerns?

Parents and young people can contact either the teacher or SENCo.

What support services are available to parents?

For services provided by the Local Authority please access their website. Click on the link below.

Where can the LA’s local offer be found? How have we contributed to it?

Our school SEN provision makes up part of the Suffolk Local Offer which can be accessed here: